HUCK PHOTO WORKSHOPS | INDEPENDENT PUBLISHING: How to put out your own photobook with Palm* Studios and If You Leave
In the disposable world of online imagery, photobooks are still the holy grail for photographers from all disciplines. But what does it take to turn your personal project into something you can hold in your hands?
In this practical and intimate workshop, photographers-turned-indie publishers Lola Paprocka, Pani Paul and Laurence Von Thomas will come together to break down the dark art of print publishing, share the lessons they’ve picked up by doing everything themselves, and help you bring the project you’ve been grappling with out into the light.
Get the lowdown on:
– Printing: Get to know your options and the pros and cons of offset vs. digital.
– Editing: How do you whittle down thousands of frames into one cohesive project?
– Format: How will your book look and feel? Paper stock, format, binding and cover options.
– Design: Inspiration and guidance on layout ideas.
– Publishing: Pros and cons of self publishing vs. registering as a publisher with ISBN numbers.
– Copyright and text: How will you explain your project in an intro?
– Social media and PR: Once the book is out there – the hard work begins!
– Exhibitions: Book launches and exhibitions are more than just parties. How do you make them happen?
– Funding: Crowdfunding, small budgets, working with partners – how does it all work?
– Sales and distribution: Admin stuff that may sound boring – but really, really matters.